Portfolio ManagerSubmitted by Admin on Fri, 10/30/2020 - 18:51
About Investisseurs & Partenaires
Investisseurs & Partenaires (I&P) is an impact investment group exclusively focused on Africa SMEs. Since 2002, I&P has financed and supported approximately 150 entrepreneurs in 16 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, including Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Benin, Niger, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Madagascar, etc. (see our website: www.ietp.com/en).
Our mission is to foster the emergence of responsible entrepreneurs and businesses, which are at the core of an inclusive growth and sustainable development in Africa. I&P manages several investment funds supported by public investors (European Investment Bank, Proparco, IFC, etc.), private investors (Danone, Credit Coopératif, AXA IM, etc.), and HNWIs.
The I&P Education to Employment (IP2E) program aims to promote the employability of African youth by improving access to education, ensuring its quality and relevance, and aligning the training provided more closely with that of employers’ needs. The blended finance program will build on an Investment Fund (equity/quasi-equity), complemented by an Access Facility (based on seed funding and technical assistance). For more details, please see here.
The Access Facility will target higher education institutions, vocational training providers, as well as a range of ancillary service providers (e.g. digital skills training, publishing houses, etc.). With support from an international donor in response to the covid-19 crisis, I&P is launching the facility with a 3-year initiative targeting these education SMEs in Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, and Senegal. This program will deploy:
- Direct financing for SMEs aiming to support them in recovery efforts and their digital transition
- Technical assistance in four key areas, namely accelerating digitalization and e-learning; designing social inclusion mechanisms; strengthening impact measurement; and promoting gender equity
- to improve knowledge sharing and promote the dialogue among key stakeholders in the education sector.
About the role
I&P is seeking a Portfolio Manager who will be responsible for implementing the Access Facility in Accra, with a view to finance and support 10 SMEs in Ghana between January 2021 and December 2023. This role will be important in contributing to the capacity of African youth in obtaining dignified and fulfilling work through better education and training. Under the supervision of the Program Director and in close collaboration with IP2E’s Investment Director, he/she will be responsible for the sourcing and management of a portfolio of education SMEs in Ghana.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Development and Management
- Actively research businesses and identify opportunities in higher education and/or ancillary service providers to get in the deal flow
- Conduct desk review (e.g. project documents, business plans, etc.) and on-site due diligence
- Analyze SMEs’ track record and progress in terms of operations (e.g. commercial viability, managerial and organizational model, etc.), financial management, ESG/Impact, and safeguards
- Support SMEs with developing ESG improvement plans, in particular with regards to gender-lens practices, safeguarding measures, ethics, quality of jobs, etc.
- Draft briefing notes and present to Intake and Selection Committees
- Establish and manage grants through their full lifecycle, defining KPIs to advance our impact goals, and help the team and the program learn from this work
- Monitor disbursements and legal requirements, and provide support and guidance to financed SMEs
- Support SMEs in analyzing and defining technical assistance and capacity building needs
- Act as key contact person with Implementing Partners providing technical assistance
- Establish and monitor contracts related to technical assistance missions
- Communicate any I&P relevant policies to partner SMEs, and update team on any new partner developments and/or issues
Program Reporting & Communication
- Regularly report progress on program components to program management team and prepare technical reports as needed
- Ensure legal monitoring and archiving, control of procedures, monitoring of impact indicators
- Ensure program visibility and successfully promote events, publications, or communications pieces
- Participate in relevant pitch competitions, education entrepreneurship events, etc.
- 4-6 years of experience in supporting SMEs or entrepreneurs (e.g. incubation, consulting/coaching, etc. ideally in West Africa), or financing SMEs
- Excellent analytical, synthesis, and writing skills
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA or equivalent preferable, with a specialization in entrepreneurship, finance, management or business strategy
- Very good knowledge of the African education sector, in particular in the private higher education/vocational training segment
- Commitment to I&P’s values: entrepreneurial spirit, commitment to development, integrity and high standards
- Open-mindedness, strong ability to adapt and learn quickly
- Full spoken and written English required. French would be a bonus.
- Mastery of computer tools, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint, etc.
The position will be based in Accra, Ghana and is contingent upon donor funding. Start date: as soon as possible from January 2021. Remuneration package commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please email access_hr@@ietp.com with the subject line Portfolio Manager, Ghana, LAST NAME by November 20, 2020 and attach:
- Your CV (no more than 2 pages), and
- A one-page cover letter, including your salary expectations, and up to 3 professional references
We thank you for your application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.