Investment Officer - GhanaSubmitted by Admin on Mon, 05/08/2023 - 12:17
- About Investisseurs & Partenaires
Investisseurs & Partenaires (I&P) is an impact investment group exclusively focused on Africa’s SMEs with EUR 400m in assets under management. Since 2002, I&P has financed and supported 200 entrepreneurs in 16 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, and sponsored 8 African SME funds; I&P’s team is based in 10 countries including Ghana, Kenya, Senegal, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Madagascar, etc. (see our website: www.ietp.com/en).
Our mission is to foster the emergence of entrepreneurs and SMEs, which are at the core of an inclusive growth and sustainable development in Africa. I&P manages several investment funds supported by development finance institutions, corporates and HNWIs.
- Background on the Mastercard Foundation Africa Growth Fund
The Mastercard Foundation Africa Growth Fund is a US$ 200m Fund-of-Funds created by Mastercard Foundation and a consortium of partners led by MEDA. I&P is the Fund Advisor for this Fund-of-Funds, in charge of sourcing, assessing and supporting the portfolio of investment vehicles.
The Fund-of-funds invests in gender-lens and women-led investment vehicles across Sub-Saharan Africa with a focus on first-time and emerging fund managers. It aims to accelerate the growth of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) across Africa, with the goal of creating work opportunities for young people – particularly young women – and building long-term economic resilience on the continent. The initiative also includes a significant Business Development Services platform that benefits both SMEs and investment vehicles.
More information is available on https://africagrowthfund.org/
- About the Role
I&P is seeking an Investment Officer who will work under the supervision of the Investment Manager to implement the investment strategy, in particular to source, due diligence and support several new investment vehicles on the continent. She/he will work closely with the entire Fund-of-funds team and travel regularly especially within Sub-Saharan Africa.
This is a rare opportunity to contribute tangibly to the growth of the African impact investing sector and to the mainstreaming of gender-lens investing, via backing emerging fund managers dedicated to financing African SMEs.
- Tasks and Responsibilities
Sourcing and due diligence
- Actively research fund investment opportunities across the continent, especially in the asset classes of venture capital, private debt, early-stage and growth-stage private equity
- Research and collate financial and market data in evaluation of investment opportunities;
- Undertake pre-investment analysis and due diligence for investment vehicles, including their track record, investment strategy, portfolio and pipeline, impact framework, gender-lens methodology, modeling, legal and tax structuring, organization, etc., via both desk reviews and on-site due diligence
- Draft investment memos for prospective and existing portfolio investments
- Participate in legal negotiation and deal closing
Capacity-building and monitoring
- Monitor the performance of the portfolio, in close relationship with investee management
- Support the portfolio investees and add value to improve their performance
- Monitor ESG (environmental, social and governance), Impact and GDEI (Gender, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) performance of investees, and support the investees in implementing a holistic gender-lens-investing approach
- Monitor the investee reporting (financial and impact reporting)
- Prepare regular reporting for investees as well as technical reports
- Minimum 3 years of experience investing equity into African SMEs as part of an investment team in Sub-Saharan Africa particularly West Africa.
- Working experience and strong networks in West Africa
- University degree, MBA or equivalent, with a specialization in entrepreneurship, finance, management or business strategy
- Open-mindedness, strong ability to adapt and learn in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent analytical, synthesis, and writing skills
- Fit with I&P’s values: entrepreneurial spirit, commitment to development, integrity and high standards
- Passion for the emergence of new fund managers and investment vehicles to finance African SMEs
- Commitment to gender-lens investing and principles of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Full spoken and written English required; fluency in French or at least an interest in learning French would be an advantage as I&P’s pan-African team is bilingual.
- Mastery of Office suite
- Position Details
The position will be based in I&P’s office in Accra, Ghana. The start date will be as soon as possible. Remuneration package commensurate with experience.
- How to Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Investment Officer, LAST NAME by 25th May 2023 and attach:
- Your CV (no more than 2 pages),
- A one-page cover letter, including your salary expectations, and up to 3 professional references